Monday, October 11, 2010

Director’s Corner: Embodying the Spirit of Wake Forest

WFU Business School Headshots 8-20-09 What could be better?  There is a nip in the air, the football season is in full force (though our Deacs are not doing so well), and everybody is knee-deep in coursework and job searches. For returning students, I hope that your summer went well and that you are focused on getting everything you can from your "concentration year."

The CMC office should be abuzz as you meet with your coaches and prepare to find that perfect job! For first-year students, hopefully the "what did I get myself into?" feeling has subsided and you are settling into a regular, though challenging, routine. I checked the fire hose yesterday and it was still turned on, full force!

I have just spent much of the last four weeks having one-on-one meetings with every first-year student. It has been a pleasure getting to know each one of you and to learn about your experience at Wake thus far. I have heard good feedback which will help us improve our program. I have heard about new friendships, successes, disappointments, speeches, favorite classes, challenging classes and teamwork. I am confident that you are all off to a solid start!

Of all the things I’ve heard during these meetings, there is one which makes me very proud. Over and over, the first year MBA students have spoken about the support which they’ve received from second-year students. It has taken various forms. Second-year advisors are providing excellent advice and support to their first-year teams and individuals within those teams. Second years are actively reaching out to first years to participate in clubs, organizations and activities. Second-year leaders are offering great leadership opportunities to first-year students. In short, there appears to be a concerted, intentional effort from second years to reach out to first years in every way possible. I can’t tell you how happy this makes me and how much I appreciate these efforts.

This is the spirit and the culture we promote at Wake Forest and you guys are doing a great job of embodying that spirit!

~ Sherry Moss

No comments:

Post a Comment