Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Period of Academic Discovery

Is it really the middle of October already? It feels like just a few short weeks ago that I arrived back on campus to start my journey as an MA in Management. Graduate school has certainly been different than my three years as an undergrad at Wake Forest. Business school has been a whole new ball game for this former History/French student. Talk about jumping into the deep end!

I certainly didn’t anticipate everything escalating so quickly in such a few short weeks – October for the MAs or at least me, has been akin to that one week of midterms undergrad when you never left the library aside from actually going to class – and even then you considered skipping class just to get your work done.

Here, skipping class certainly isn’t an option, especially since with only 40 students, its rather obvious. So thank goodness for classes starting at 11:30 in the morning as opposed to 8! So far the MA program has been challenging but rewarding, and I’ve seen an improvement in not only my basic business skills but also my ability to follow a business conversation.

Prioritizing has taken on a whole new meaning for me, especially this month, as I try to decide whether I want to study for a potential quiz, read the 20-some pages, work on the quant problems, attend one of three club meetings, see my best friends, hang out with my new MA friends, or actually eat and get some sleep. Whew!

My journey as an MA so far has been quite an adventure. I consistently remember Columbus and his belief that he was embarking upon a trip to the Near East, and his surprise at arriving in parts unknown and “discovering the New World.” Well … I certainly won’t compare myself to Columbus and his immense luck, nor do I believe that I will discover anything that is new to a seasoned business person. However, I certainly will admit that I am constantly surprised by what I’m finding in my classes and my journey through school and planned port is changing daily.

Next week looks particularly busy, with PepsiCo reps coming onto campus, club meetings, a debate on the Sherman Act, speakers, and a free “etiquette dinner” being offered to those interested in perfecting their business dinner acumen – and that’s only on the academic side!

~ Jen Ratliff is a first-year student in the MA in Management program.

No comments:

Post a Comment